Have you ever dressed a wound for someone having a sudden injury or performed CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) to a person who has suddenly collapsed or lost consciousness? This is known as emergency first aid. Giving someone the basic medical care to stop the situation from worsening until professional help arrives is known as emergency first aid. This is the type of medical care that anyone can learn to provide at any time or at any place.
Then what is a first aid kit? The first aid kit is a box of medical supplies consisting of medical equipment, cleansing solutions and other medications that help you or someone else to take care of you in an emergency situation. Giving first aid could even save a life therefore first aid is important, hence we all understand the importance of an emergency first aid kit here as well.
Emergency First Aid Kit Contents: What You Need To Have
There are number of first aid supplies that you would need to make your emergency first aid kit and they are:
- Medical gloves that are disposable (in case of any latex allergies, have non-latex gloves as well)
- Medical face masks
- Medicine cup/Spoon
- Safety pins
- Cotton balls and cotton-tipped swabs
- Bandages and sterile gauze bandages,
- Rolled gauze and non-stick gauze pads
- Hand Sanitizer
- Instant cold packs or plastic bags (to make ice packs)
- Antiseptic cleanser or antiseptic wipes
- Antibiotic ointment
- Bulb suction device to flush wounds
- Adhesive tape
- Petroleum jelly to protect minor cuts or dry, cracked skin
- Aloe vera gel for minor burns
- Eyewash solution
- Pain relievers, such as acetaminophen
- Cough and cold medications
All of these are not must-haves for your emergency first aid kit, you can use whatever is important from these first aid supplies and customize your emergency first aid kit accordingly. You can make an emergency first aid kit to fit your needs at home or to fit your needs when traveling therefore utilize the given first aid kit contents to help yourself organize your own emergency first aid kit.
You will need a first aid box as well because you need a container to add all the first aid kit contents to it. Make sure it has enough space to hold all the first aid supplies you need and that it is lightweight.
Emergency First Aid Kit – When Will You Need It The Most?
There are several reasons why you should have an emergency first aid kit with you. Some of the most common reasons are:
- To control bleeding or to dress wounds when minor injuries happen from household accidents or when sports-related injuries happen.
- To have the needed medication when you have fevers, pain, or sudden allergies.
- To treat broken bones or swellings.
Having a well-prepared first aid kit will always come in handy because emergency situations never come with a warning and at any moment of the day, you or anyone could face an emergency situation with injuries, sudden pain or allergies or even a worse kind of accident could take place. You will always be at peace of mind knowing that you are well prepared for any emergency situation when you have an emergency first aid kit.